Full Day Glacier National Park Horse Ride and Raft Adventure Details
Dates: Daily between 06/01/2019 and 09/02/2019, depending on availability. We typically need 72 hours notice to set up this Combination Experience.
Trip Duration: About 7 to 7.5 hours
Adult Price: $144.00, with delicious to-go lunch included
Child Price: $134.00, with delicious to-go lunch included
Not Included: 7% River User Fee, Glacier National Park Entrance Fee, transportation to and from horse corral, guide gratuities.
Let’s Raft and Ride in Glacier National Park!
In the morning you’ll ride horses in Glacier National Park from the Apgar Corral with Swan Mountain Outfitters, the only horse outfitter that is authorized to offer trail rides inside the park. In the afternoon, you’ll enjoy an approximately three hour long whitewater rafting adventure on the Wild and Scenic Middle Fork of the Flathead River, along Glacier’s southwestern border.
On the trail, you and your horse will meander through a beautiful forest with views of lower McDonald Creek. Wildlife such as deer, moose, and bear are often seen on this easy ride that lasts about 2 hours.
On the river, you can paddle and become part of the crew that maneuvers the raft through the 9 named rapids by following the simple commands of the guide. Or, if you’d rather sit back and relax on this federally protected Wild and Scenic River, that’s great, too! The trip winds about 8 miles through the John F. Stevens Canyon. The rapids are typically rated class II and III, making for a fun and splashy whitewater rafting adventure!
Meet your horse at 10:00am. Return to Glacier Guides and Montana Raft by 1:15pm. Enjoy your lunch under our shaded pavilion.
Then, meet your river guide at 1:45pm at Glacier Guides and Montana Raft to get fitted for lifejackets, helmets, and any other necessary equipment. If you have an epi-pen or other medication, your guide can stow it safely for you in a dry bag. Next, take a short bus ride — approximately 20 minutes — to the river put in. Your guide will launch the boat there and you’ll be floating down the stunning Wild and Scenic Middle Fork of the Flathead River!
The trip starts off on a mellow section of the river, giving you plenty of time to learn to paddle and to adjust to being on the water. The rapids come towards the end of the trip, and photographs of each boat are taken in the rapid called Bonecrusher. Float under Glacier National Park’s historic Belton Bridge towards the end of the trip. Your guide will take the raft out of the water in West Glacier. From there, it’s a 5 minute bus ride back to where you started. What an awesome day in Montana!
Ride and Raft Logistics
- Check in time is at the Apgar Horse Corral at 10:00 AM.
- Maximum weight for horseback ride: 250 pounds.
- The ride finishes at 1:00pm, which gives you time to return to Glacier Guides and Montana Raft, only minutes away from the Apgar Corral.
- A delicious to-go lunch is provided when you check for rafting. Please be at our office by 1:15 to allow enough time for lunch and checking in. The half day raft trip meets at 1:45pm to depart at 2:15. You’ll return approximately 3 hours later.
- The length of the trip depends on the river flow. In June through early July, trips last about 2.5 hours. Mid-July through early August, about 3 hours. Mid-August through the end of season, approximately 3.5 hours.
- Restrooms, Gear + Gift shop, showers, WiFi, and volleyball are all available on campus for your pre and post rafting entertainment!
- Be sure to wear clothes you won’t mind getting wet. See our Packing List – Day Trips page for more information about what you will need for the rafting trip.
- No experience necessary for rafting or riding.
- No maximum weight for rafting, but must be able to buckle a 58″ chest life jacket.
- Trips depart rain or shine.
Please check in at the Apgar Horse Corral at 10:00 AM. The Apgar Horse Corral is close to the west entrance of Glacier National Park. After going through the west entrance gate of Glacier, take the next left by the sign for the Glacier Institute. Follow the road until you get to the T intersection and take a right. The horse corral will be ahead, to the right.
The Half Day Raft Trip with Glacier Guides and Montana Raft departs at 2:15 PM. Please check into our office by 1:15 PM. We are located 1.5 miles west of West Glacier on Highway 2. From the Corral, retrace your path through Glacier’s west entrance gates and take a right onto Highway 2. Drive approximately one mile. Look for a blue raft and a blue bus, and our Glacier Guides and Montana Raft sign on the north side of the highway between mile marker 151 and 152. Take a right and you’ll find our campus just off the highway tucked in the trees.